21 July 2005

I agree with something Ann Coulter says

Topic:

I know, I'm in shock, too. Ann's (notice how I'm avoiding the pronoun here) most recent column on John Roberts talks about what a bad choice he's likely to be, which I think is just a way to get Democrats to vote for him, since they can say that since Coulter didn't like him, he must be OK. (I used to have a girlfriend who used what I liked in books and movies as a reliable guide to what she didn't like.) Anyway, buried in the column is this line:
Apparently, Roberts decided early on that he wanted to be on the Supreme Court and that the way to do that was not to express a personal opinion on anything to anybody ever.
I happen to think this is true, that he saw that SCOTUS nominees tended to fail due to expressed opinions. If so, very clever of him or his political minder. But it would be nice to have something other than an unknown up for the court.