07 July 2005

I bet a Mac user wrote this article


The AP reports that the threat of spyware is making people more cautious online. Yay, and boo. Yay, because most people, including yours truly, tend to be too complacent about security threats. But boo, because there's a lot of good stuff to be found online, and I'd hate to see people not exploring because they're afraid. I have much the same feeling about people who don't travel because they're afraid of getting lost in a place where they don't speak the language. Sure, it's not as safe as home, but it's a shame to miss out on sunrise from Mt Sinai because of it.

Here's one user's response:
Hit twice by spyware, after which all her Internet searches went to a rogue search engine rather than Google, she bought the safer Mac computer, installed two layers of firewalls and began switching off her broadband-connected machine when she's out.
The two firewalls seem excessive. In my experience, there's just nothing out there for Macs; I don't have any specific anti-virus or anti-spyware software on my Mac, and it's been several years since I last got a virus on my machine.

The article also reports:
The survey also found that 43 percent of Internet users say they've been hit with spyware, adware or both.
I feel certain that this statistic means that 43 percent are aware that this has happened; I have yet to see a Windows machine that didn't have any spyware on it, and I know that the other 57 percent of Internet users comprises more than Mac and Linux users.